Documentation : Hardware | Software | Tutorials    Wardrobe : Jackets | Applications
Papers : Notes | Proposals | Research    Administration : Stock | Minutes | Progress

Project Meeting July 22nd 1997

10 am at David's office.

Present: henk, jim, paul, phil, alex, james, rachael, stewart and tom.

Agenda

Introduced Stewart Morgan (sm5482@bristol.ac.uk) an EE student joining our team and Rachael Murphy visiting from The Royal College of Art.

1. Progress reports

Phil: Looked into contacting Orange about getting free or at least cheap air time for our GSM system. Ray Crispin at HP will contact David May in order to get this one going. Phil will also contact Alex in order to sort out phone and modem compatibility with Linux drivers.

James: Working on the speech synthesis engine and loading databases for text to phoneme translation. This led to a discussion on secondary storage capacity. Following on from Thad Starner's MIT experience we are opting to use hard drives when needed and not to worry about power consumption problems at this stage.

Alex: Studying Linux and integrating the GPS system. The GPS system is typically accurate to within 30m, though sometimes it can be up to 100m off. We need to look into getting the "differential" add on component in order to improve accuracy. Also consider changing over to smaller units. Paul will dig out some data sheets. Jim will get HP's Peter Rodgers to look over options.

Tom: Looking at touch sensitive overlay for the display and also at power issues. Tom volunteered to write a one-pager describing the power consumption break down for the jacket. The group discussed the distribution and weight of pwer cells.

Stewart: Looking at the display. Tom and Stewart decided against a QV10 display because they felt it was too small. Instead they have opted for a 10cm square display offering at least 8 colours and quarter VGA resolution on an STN LCD display.

Paul: Emphasised getting mobile as soon as possible - alway we need is hard drive, GPS, power olution and audio output in order to get mobile.

Henk: Emphasised defining target applications to provide a focus for the current work. These already exist on this web (..ref..), but we need to break them down and integrate them into a plan that says when the various applications should be achievable.

Jim: Has developed an External Research Proposal for two years funding for the Wearable Intiative starting November. The proposal includes hiring an RA and funding four students for each of the next two Summers. Also tried to encourage greater use of this web site by other team members as a communication tool. Jim hopes that the students will record more of their design thoughts, plans and progress on the web.

Other bits and pieces: Student phone numer in the lab: 9289000 x3676.

2. Develop plan

A CyberJacket specification and "blocked off" activity list has already been developed by the students and this will be placed on the web for team review.

3. New sensor cards

Chip Maguire from Technical University of Stockholm has some "sensor-rich" badge devices. In advance of the meeting Phil came to the belief that such sensors could simply be added to a CyberJacket version of his Pingers. The Stockholm group remains in other respects a good source of research ideas.

Actions


This page last updated June 27, 2002
The material displayed is provided 'as is'. Contents may not be reused without prior permission.
For problems or questions regarding this web contact Cliff Randell.