Project Meeting May 19th, 1998
10 am in David's office
Present: Henk, Phil, Mariann, Jim
Jim presented the LocoMedia Summer Project
idea: audio notes that are 'located' at the spot where the user made the note, and could
then be accessed by other users visiting that spot. We went on to discuss the major tasks
involved. Mariann was present to help us with speech recognition in the project.
We have three Summer Students on board and are still considering taking on a fourth EE
Phil had a couple of good ideas. Firstly that we could do the wireless earpiece
entirely without need for any receiver side power. Secondly that we could certainly deal
with pinger transmitter problems by using mains power or even by using pingers hanging off
lamps and using solar panels! His brain was steaming gently at this point.
Mariann dropped by Erik Lewis to make contact. Erik built the synthesised speech output
for the first BlazerJet. This consumed only 1.5MB RAM for fixed vocab output.
Henk mailed Tony Coping about Summer Students with analogue skills but is still waiting
for a reply.
Phil has written an one-pager on the earpiece project.
- Phil to think through our need for EE skills. Perhaps he should act as designer and the
EE student should effectively act as a technician. Perhaps we could get skills outside of
Bristol Uni. Much of teh fabrication issues could be resolved using the Hardware Design
Team at Labs.
- Phil to work some more on earpiece and solar panel pinger design ideas.
- Jim to work through speech interface design with Mariann. Jim to find out what PC104
products might be available if needed.
- Mariann to think through options for codecs and recognisers for LocoMedia.
- Henk to find a likely supplier for the differential GPS system. Out concern is that it
might need to come in an enormous box.
- Jim to try and see if we can get a MAC (Medium Access Control) layer for the footbridge
And carried over from last time:
- Phil to write up one-pager for wireless earpiece student project.
- Jim to continue contact with Philip's and to clear things with JT.
- Phil to check for a single card GSM phone solution. At the same time to look into this 8
second latency problem with the Orange phones.
- Phil to wite up a one-pager for the solar-power investigation work as a student project.
- Jim to investigate off the shelf options for a commercial wearable computing platform.
Reliable and compact - thats what we want!
This page last updated June 27, 2002
The material displayed is
provided 'as is'. Contents may not be reused without prior permission.
For problems or questions regarding this web
contact Cliff Randell.